You are using an old version of Internet Explorer.
Some features on presidentarabia.com may not display properly. For the best experience, please update your browser to IE10 and up.
• Chicken pieces (thighs & breasts) - 800g
• Eggplants (medium) - 2 kg
• American rice - 2 cups
• Nuts (pine nuts and almonds) - 1½ cups
• President Unsalted Butter - 4 tbsp
• Cooking oil - 2 cups
For the chicken broth:
• Whole spices (3 bay leaves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cardamom pods)
• Whole onion, peeled - 1
• Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
• Salt - 1 tsp
• Pepper - 1 tsp
To make the chicken broth:
• In a pot, melt 2 tbsp of President Unsalted Butter over medium heat.
• Add the chicken pieces and sauté for 2 minutes.
• Pour 5 cups of water over the chicken and let it boil. Discard any froth coming out of the chicken.
• Add the whole spices, onion, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
• Cover the pot and leave to boil until the chicken is cooked.
• Peel the eggplants and cut into 1-cm-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and leave to sweat for 30 min. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove any excess water.
• Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan, and fry the eggplants until golden. Leave to drain over paper towels.
• Drain the cooked chicken and set the broth aside. Discard the whole spices.
• Arrange the chicken, fried eggplants and rice in layers inside the pot, starting with the chicken at the bottom, then the eggplants and then the rice.
• Pour 4 cups of the chicken broth over the rice and let it boil, then lower the heat and let the rice cook slowly at low heat.
• When the water has fully evaporated, take the pot off the gas and let it cool for a while.
• Flip the pot onto a serving plate and slowly remove the pot taking care not to disrupt the arranged layers.
• Roast the nuts in 2 tablespoons of President Unsalted Butter until golden.
• Garnish the maklouba with the roasted nuts.
• Enjoy a delicious Iftar with your family!
• Tsp = Teaspoon and Tbsp = Tablespoon
• 1 cup = 240 ml or 240 g (approx.)